Series: The Rule Breakers #1
on May 9th, 2016
Buy on Amazon
Starr Media Second-Assistant Survival Guide
1. Don't call your hot boss the antichrist to his face.
2. Don't stare at hot boss's, um, package or his full sleeve of tattoos. (No. Really. Stop!)
3. Don't get on the malicious first assistant's bad side.
4. Don't forget to memorize the 300-page employee manual.
5. If you value your cashmere, steer clear of boss' s dog.
6. Boss' s dimples are lust-inducing. Do. Not. Give. In.
7. “The elevator ate your clothes” is not a valid excuse for showing up to important meetings half dressed.
8. Don't break seven of the rules within the first week of employment if you, ya know, are in dire need of money to support your sick mom.
9. Whatever you do, don' t fall for the boss. See rule eight about sick mom.
10. Never forget the rules.
That synopsis SOLD ME. I was scrolling through my facebook feed and I saw one of the Publicists for Entangled that I am friends with on Facebook post the synopsis for this book last week and I one-clicked the shit out of it when I got done reading the synopsis.
I started reading this book last night and I finished it when I was supposed to be working today at work. Oops, my bad. I just couldn’t put it down.
Lainey is fresh out of college with a job in Seattle as the second assistant to Brogan Starr, the CEO of Starr Media. She’s being told by the first assistant that the boss is the “Antichrist” and she has a 300 employee handbook with 4028502846 rules that proves it.
Brogan Starr is apparently the Antichrist but when Lainey finally gets the chance to meet him and see him interact with his employees it’s obvious that maybe he really isn’t the “Devil”. It’s just his first assistant being an ass. No big surprise there, seeing as Jackson is an asshole from the very beginning. Brogan seems to get along with everyone who works for him and isn’t anything like Jackson made him out to be. Sure he has 5 million rules to be followed but it’s because he’s trying to protect himself.
I really enjoyed this book, Lainey is a witty, entertaining girl with a big heart. She’s doing what she can to help out her sick mom, giving up the finer things in life that she loves so much to make sure her mom gets the treatments she needs. I loved Lainey and Brogan together, even when she’s sticking her foot in her mouth (all the time). The banter between them was cute. Brogan is obviously affected by her but he’s trying to fight what he’s feeling for her. He’s a very private person and he doesn’t even let her touch a picture frame in his office.
If you’re looking for a romantic comedy that’s quirky and sweet, definitely check out this book! This book had a sweet epilogue but I have to wonder what’s going to happen with the rest of the series. I can’t wait to see what it will bring. Are we gonna get more of Lainey & Brogan’s story or are we going to move on to Lainey’s roommate Zoey? I kind of hope it’s more of Lainey and Brogan…but I guess we shall see. 🙂